Friday, October 26, 2007

Plans for next year

For the past couple years, really since my cancer diagnosis and full recovery in 2003, I've been wandering aimlessly through my life. Not really detached, but also not really having a plan or goal. So suddenly, I have two goals. One for next Spring, and another for the following Summer.

Next Spring, I plan to participate in Randonneur USA's Brevet Series. This is a series of bicycle rides of increasing distance, all designed to be ridden in a predefined time limit. They typical series is as follows:

200 kilometers (129 miles) in 13.5 hours or less
300 kilometers (192 miles) in 20 hours or less
400 kilometers (251 miles) in 27 hours or less
600 kilometers (375 miles) in 40 hours or less
1000 kilometers (620 miles) in 75 hours or less

The point of all this is not necessarily to see who is the fastest, though speed is obviously important to some. The greater import is given to those who can devise and execute a plan to finish in a decent time. Keep in mind that the times are absolute wall clock times, not cumulative times over several stages. For example, if the 600K ride starts at 6 a.m., all riders must be finished by 10:00 p.m. the following evening.

It is a challenge, especially the longer rides. I have personally completed many 200K rides, and 2 300K rides. But nothing longer than that. So the Spring of 2008 may see me complete my first Brevet Series. Wish me luck...

The second challenge, slated for 2009, will be a "crossing the USA the short way" ride from Florida to New York, ostensibly for the Juvenile Diabetes Foundation, with a friend from work. We shall see how that goes, as well. I'll keep you posted.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the MP3 e MP4, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://mp3-mp4-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

2:46 AM  
Blogger charliesmith said...

The company also offers offices in the area and an app for customers to book space and pay for it when they are ready to pick up their bags. All of the services are located near King's Cross station and are a few minutes' walk from the station. To learn more about locker services, visit on hyperlinked site.

2:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home